----------->SENSORS<------------ (Project8)

Touch me





My initial idea was design an object that would be filled by playful water – I Knew I would like to create something with water because water is fundamental element on the earth and it is cure for most of us. Drink enough water you want have cellulite – drink soda – you know what comes. Over the times water has been changing a lot not just because the whole world is changing so fast but we destroying something what is pure and clean into a dirty unhealthy liquid. “Do not drink a tap water because it’s a full of hormones “.


Water is all over us and inside of us – we became from water. It is fascinating what the water could do from catastrophic scenes to healing. In the beginning I was thinking what I would like to create, musical dress, interactive painting or interactive water. Water interested me most because water and electric is something what is completely unlike. However; it fascinated me that much that I had to develop the dig more.

To be honest, I just knew I would like to create nice looking object filled by water that would be interactive. No too much deep thought behind. Just experiment. Although, I assumed it wouldn’t be enough just create something what is meaningless but I was still developing my idea and experimenting even though I was so doubtful. Luckily, the last weekend before the deadline I went to the studio and I found a mannequins leg and finally I knew I need them. No more doubts, puzzles was just done.

When I saw the leg in a trash it was weird because this legs suppose to be perfect, not so think or no cellulite or whatever but someone just throw them, apparently perfect stuff could be useless too. The whole process of developing my idea was so intensive. Especially, when I was cutting the top of the legs apart I felt really, really awkward of raping silent plastic leg because I sat on them on I assume even this act could a performance as itself. (And it wasn’t so long when the Irish girl was murdered so it was more intensive than I expected)

Than I realized I’m having “perfect legs” which is not perfect anymore. Most of my bad experience from bars and or just thinking about the dating itself, which I always appreciate more what is inside rather than what, is outside. And it makes sense, when we are healthy (mentally, physically) we are attractive. Water helps us to be healthy… So I decided if you want to touch this “perfect legs” you have to know them before you touch them from outside.

If I would have more time I would develop the sound better and more carefully.  Especially the sound so if you touch and play the water inside for more than 2 minutes than you would get nice sound from outside.  So first time when you touch the object from outside it would make noisy unpleasant sound, two minutes inside – sound and light and than you can play with the object from outside again.


(The legs are gold because the first impression when I came to Glasgow or lets say Scotland in general I was really surprised how many girls wearing a lot mascara and dress in very specific way. I never saw this before anywhere. So I thought the girls from here would like to be gold from outside as well… so I give to my Scottish gold legs the same.)


RESEARCH

















FOUR WEEKS OF DEVELOPMENT


Over the past month I was working on the developing what processing offers and how far I would be able go. Literally, I had no idea what to do in the beginning, however, step by step I was more and sure what I would like to do. I was not easy to start working on something which I honestly had no any clue. 

FIRST WEEK

First week, we started very slowly and basically we did not nothing. We just suppose start working on our project but main question was "how"?
So, decided little research wouldn't be step back so I went to the school library to find some books which I found out like the best what I could do. I knew I would like to build something which is not typical sensor like push or turn button get value, etc. 

The books are really interesting because I could get idea what I would be able built and what others already created. To make an interactive sensor - arduino, processing with kinect and finally to makerbot. Amazing thing but I havent had experiment with kinect.

I had two initial ideas - water sensor or musical dress. 



Second week

The whole week we were learning how to use arduino and how to connect it to processing. Over the whole week we played and learnt different sensors with different sketches. There was a lot going on and the whole idea became more understandle however; my worries how to use processing was still there. Luckily, Roy helped me a lot explained me basics what is going on. Even I borrowed books how to start with the processing it still I don't know to use it how I really want and it makes me crazy!! 




THIRD WEEK

On monday mornig we had group where we suppose to present our final idea. WATER SENSOR WON. But it suppose to made me happy but more problems appeared because build the thing is more complicated than I even though. I liked the video and tutorial from the disney research, however; I dont have enough parts to build it. I experiment a lot with the arduino and processing because I wanted to learn what to do and finally I starting to understand basics of processing which makes me happy. 

I got different values from boil full of water but its quite difficult to coordinate numbers so on friday I just order all the parts for the water sensor (which was really expensive) but im not losing my mind and I will build my object full of water








Mannequin LEG 

this was the best consequence what could happen to me because I went to the studio work on the my water object and I was just thinking what to do. I was really stressed out how the whole project turns out and suddenly I saw mannequin leg in a trash and I knew I need them for my project. It quite changed my whole idea of the project but I dont mind. I have to accept everything what comes to me. 


FOUR WEEK

Monday

So this is final week of the project but I still havent built the sensor and not evertyhing is working how it suppose to work which is bad. 













Tuesday

I wont disney's sensor because I wouldnt get any numbers and the whole thing is not useful anymore. Hm, I couldnt get number to Processing. It took me three hours to found out how to do it. Paul told me I would be able to find out everything by myself and my idea is bad but I wouldnt have time to make something new... I see...




In the night I finally get Arduino communicate with Processing and PURE DATA which is the best thing what could happens.




Wednesday

Work with puredata is often quite fun but I still have to work more to be better. Whole wednesday I was trying to get four different values from the processing row in PD. 

Spending time with technology is real challenge. 

First of all, everything is basically on the Internet and there is a lot of useful information

Second of all, if I wouldn't spent that much time searching for something and I would use my brain earlier I could solve this problem in an hour. Although, I took more than I expected I still felt like a hero because I made the whole thing by myself without any help!






Thursday

One day left for the presentation and one day for working in PD and make the sound how I want it. I wish I would have one or two more weeks for this project because now, I am getting into and now I would be able to solve this whole puzzle. 


Friday








SKETCHES





























0 comments:

Post a Comment