3D Printing - THREE WEEKS PROJECT (Project1)


FIRST WEEK

After the drawing week I was little anxious if I would like my first project however; I liked it a lot. We have to learn how to use 3D printer and the topic is our DIGITAL PORTRAIT. It is very open how I would like to represent myself which I very glad about.

RESEARCH d.2

When I started think about the project and the topic I was wondering what my friends on FB thinks about me and how do I represent myself on this very popular social network? I had to think about how I want to represent myself on the Internet. Even thought I do not want to put too much information about me on the Internet I am aware I already put a lot there and I am still posting stuff there. Google knows more than I do, my parent do or my boyfriend does. The question is – “Is that bad?” More I know about the codes and how the website working, more I would like to know about the system. However there is dark side how to use it properly?

Am I losing my identity already? Every time I clicked or post something I losing my privacy more and more. How the FB, Google or Twitter is changing over the year? I suppose a lot because each year it becomes more popular and these companies get more users. 

I started watching TEDtalks, documentary and thesis (Richard Coyne and Dorian Wiszniewski,Technical deceits,Critical theory, hermeneutics and the ethics of information technology,Department of Architecture University of Edinburgh).  First of all, each individual understands reality and time completely differently and it is better to think about the reality as a state of mind. It is same as rotation of the Sphere, we don’t feel it but we know it is rotating all the time. "They present the imaginary in order to make us believe that the rest is real" (Richard Coyne and Dorian Wiszniewski,Technical deceits,Critical theory, hermeneutics and the ethics of information technology,Department of Architecture University of Edinburgh). 

Second of all, when we don’t know much about the something we don’t have to worry what could happened and I suppose it is same with the Internet. More we know how the whole system working more we worry about the privacy. At least I do. After I found out I never would be able to delete any information I am more careful what I am putting or sharing my personal information e.g. my personal number, date of birth, etc. The Internet should give to us more freedom but is there is still free of speech? It is horrifying that Gmail knows all my private emails and use them and it does not mater for what. It is used for the protection but how much?


---- Restriction of freedom ----- (in Iraq, citizen don’t want to live near journalist because they using emails, wife so terrorist can easily find them. The reason why most of the terrorist don’t using any modern technique for communication {it is something different})

MY WORKS


I decided to start with a photo “selfie” or self-portrait and how do I think I representing myself on the Internet. How do I look? Honestly, I do not like to be photograph and put them on the public unless I think it is appropriate. Although, I do not mind talk to new people and get them know I am not type of person who is too much open so why should I be more familiar online? The biggest advantage of online world is I could be whoever I want to be e.g. I could be thinner, smarter because everything is allowed and possible. After all I decided to create “the core” of me with all the connection that surround me. Connection that is all the time around me.











Bibliography:

Richard Coyne and Dorian Wiszniewski,Technical deceits,Critical theory, hermeneutics and the ethics of information technology,Department of Architecture University of Edinburgh

Website:
www.ted.com 
Maria Bezaitis: The surprising need for strangeness
Sherry Turkle: Connected, but alone?

Digital freedom: Virtual reality, avatars, and multiple identities: Jim Blascovich at TEDxWinnipeg

The Virtual reality
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/virtual-revolution/

BIT

Francis Bacons cipher

Encypting - Karolina Kaucka

ABABAAAAAABAAABABBBAABABBABAAAABBABAAAAA ABABAAAAAABABAAAAABAABABAAAAAA

ABAABAAAAABAAAAABBABABABAABAAAABBAAAAAAA ABAABAAAAABAABBAAABAABAABAAAAA

Everything is true, everything is false

Centralni mozek lidstva - CML - central brain of humans


Sketches and developing thursday






















SECOND WEEK


" 'I' is only a convenient term for somebody who has no real being. Lies will flow from my lips, but there may perhaps be some truth mixed up with them; it is for you to seek out this truth and to decide whether any part of it is with keeping." (Virginia Wolf, A room of ones owns)


I never thought this week might bring thousand of problems and questions that I assume as a positive thing. I had to solve technical problems with Maya and makerBot which was so challenging because I was not able to export anything at MakerBot software specifically I was able to export something but it took more than two hours I assumed there is something wrong



Finally, I solved the problem because everything was in settings however; when I solved one thing another showed up. I wanted to print quite organic shape with lines or web looking style, however, it was not working as I imagined.




Waiting for the final objects are the best time event though sometimes it is turns wrongly.. 











From the glitches and a mistake I most of the time get the most. And also when is sometimes turns right its the energy full again and I can start again.. 








Experiment gave me opportunity to think about the final piece from different angle. Upside down. "So if I can do that way I could you this and that" So its moved me forward a lot..














In addition, this week I have been thought about meaning of the words – self, myself and I. What is a difference between them or why is so important lately. How do we want to represent ourselves? We live in the modern age of selfies and selfishness. From self-portrait to selfies. Uh! Why most of the people want to upload their selfies on the social networks? Am I doing the same? I assumed, I am posting some stuff on the social networks when I feel lonely, sad because I would like to show to other the opposite – “Look at me I am so HAPPY!! And you are not…”


THIRD WEEK


-----> NUMBER(S) IN ACTION <-----


I am only number for virtual world. My identities are only generated numbers. If I don’t know my number I am basically nothing.

Most of the companies and countries don’t care about my name because there are too much people with same name - Karolina Kaucka. How many people are named as me? Could I find them?

Karolina Kaucká
, *29.9.1858 - †17.11.1895

I found three people who hold same name as me.

Basically, I am just a little point in the data number in the virtual cable mess which surrounds and floating all the time around me.

Last week of the project was harder because I found out that my final Maya model would not be printable so I had to go back and started to think about the project from new angle.  Especially when I go through my sketches and first ideas what I had I decided I would like to print something similar what I already print for my first experiment and do not experiment and make some more complicated ideas anymore because it is pointless. Over the project I have been thinking about who am I, and what is my identity and to be honest I still do not have answer. I assume it would take more than few to find out who am I even though sometimes I know how do I feel about my identity.


My outcome of the research and sketches is use quite complicated organic shape that has cover core with simple dots with a lot glitches, I tried to create meaningful object in every element so even there is a lot “mistakes” around it is important to because I still feel as the Internet and my online/digital identity is not perfect and I don’t want to make it perfect. I suppose the best words for the Internet are fear, loneliness or freedom, which represent my opinion on the virtual addiction.

In the last three weeks I have been teaching Maya which is almost same as 3Dmax, which I am more familiar with but still there is a lot of differences. In the beginning I was worried a lot about the outcome and the whole learning processes but finally, I am satisfied what I finished and learnt. The most challenging about this project was to think deeply about my identity and how do I represent myself on the Internet and how many social networks do I have and what do I want and expect from the online world and also to think how others sees me on the social networks. The first week when I started just with self-portrait helped me a lot to start think about myself differently and different techniques was helpful as well, what I got from one photo is quite amazing. From pretty understandable photo or watercolor painting to completely abstract shapes. I could be whatever I want to be. The second week was more about the experiments and get more familiar with the printer and the software, which was successful. My concept was changing a lot because I was not able to say what I would print because I haven’t had print anything yet so this was the reason why I changed it a lot and I am glad I had to change it a bit and experiment because that’s make the project more interesting.




Hopefully, today or tomorrow I made my last object. Although, I feel the pressure I wanted create something totally different I assume after all the weeks I push the project a lot forward. Unfortunately, I am not good in the expression of all and myself the though what I have in my head. From my speech is just weird presentation and other people get just half ideas what I'm want to express (I have this problem in my first language, too) Even though, I'm trying to improve the problem with the presentation it is hard for me to. When I don't know how to react I just don't speak at all or just smile... Next step would be to present my work in proper way.


After printing the final object and proper photos are done I feel satisfied with the work I done so far. I spent a lot of time on this project from learning software’s; thought to ideas with I had to come up. I am glad I had enough time everything. Just my self-portrait photo left, however; I assume I did my self-portrait in the first week where I made few paintings from one "selfie". Although, it is not photographic proper self-portrait I would be able


Hopefully, today or tomorrow I made my last object. Although, I feel the pressure I wanted create something totally different I assume after all the weeks I push the project a lot forward. Unfortunately, I am not good in the expression of all and myself the though what I have in my head. From my speech is just weird presentation and other people get just half ideas what I'm want to express (I have this problem in my first language, too) Even though, I'm trying to improve the problem with the presentation it is hard for me to. When I don't know how to react I just don't speak at all or just smile... Next step would be to present my work in proper way.


After printing the final object and proper photos are done I feel satisfied with the work I done so far. I spent a lot of time on this project from learning software’s; thought to ideas with I had to come up. I am glad I had enough time everything. Just my self-portrait photo left, however; I assume I did my self-portrait in the first week where I made few paintings from one "selfie". Although, it is not photographic proper self-portrait I would be able

------> HOW MANY?? <------

How many networks I have on the Internet? Over all I assume I have 15 dots about me on the Internet. Not that bad. (Facebook, Twitter, 6emails, youtube, vimeo, spotify, iCloud, Blogger, Wordpress.) How much time per day I use them? Facebook-everyday, Twitter-4times per week, emails almost every day, youtube - every day, vimeo - few times per month, spotify - not too much, Blogger - depends, every week, every day..., Wordpress - almost everyday

-------> FINAL PRINTING <-------



On Wednesday, I started print my final object which made my day very special because I was nervous about the last object. Hopefully, everything turns ok. Although I had a huge problem, which I had to solve, after one hour of printing based to print should started print, the object but the printer stopped printing. Actually, it tried to print but the filament did not go from needle. I had two option, cancel the printing or stopped the process and think about that. What I would like to do next? I decided to continue and see if the printer will print properly, however; it still did not print perfectly so I was desperate. But dreadful situation need fast solution and I found the solution!! 










The menu has an option for changing filament during the printing when it is in pause mode so I solve the problem and I changed the filament and loaded it - from the white one to clear. I assume that the object turns into very interesting shape and I am satisfied with my two color final object and because we all tried find a way to change the filaments so I fund the way. I am glad that I used the photographic table with photo flashlight. I had to figured how to combine my own camera with the flash. I started set up everything with Viola so we had to corporate and think about some problems which was not a big issue. We helped to each other from holding the lights to set up the scene when Viola wasnot sure about something because I already worked with photographic lights and tripod and camera. I am glad that we have to corporate and we are sharing our ideas when I do not know someone helps me and I can assist and help to someone as well.

















MY OBJECT


                
Finally, I decided to re-make my first object with central globe. The central sphere is defines me - my identity "in the real world". (Although, I read some of the books about identity and some talks and document, I still do not have exact idea about the representation of myself. I consider that to explore my real identity will takes longer than I expected. I resolve for the neutral shape as sphere because I came up with idea of dots as me and in three dimensions I need round object)

The little spheres around me represent "my dots or traces of existence" what I put and I have been given to others on the networks. This little orbs around me (spheres) is also in me - they are still part of me and I gives little of me to others to "BIG BROTHER". The "messy dots web around the objects" is showing the virtual reality and information, which is still around me, and I never would be able to erase this information. Abstraction also shows what virtually means for me - Abstraction, fear, freedom and prison.

It is influential to know about these facts but on the other hand the Internet is useful and gives me more opportunities than my ancestors ever had. 

...












































































0 comments:

Post a Comment