Project n.2 - Screen Language (week1 & 2) (Project2)

SHORT MOVIE

NOOKS AND CRANNIES

"Sometimes reality is the strangest fantasy of all"(Blow up, 1966)

 



Fluxus - short conceptual movies from sixties, which I assume as one of the most interesting movement in a history of movies because they forces us think about 30 seconds long movie that are very quick and unclear. In addition artist they haven’t played with perfect shadows, special effects they just played with reality and clear idea which they wanted to tell us. Difficult decision. It was for everybody because it was ordinary. On the other hand, it is true? Because all the short movies are high level of conceptualism so I suppose most of people even haven’t liked them so, another question is - for whom will I make my movie?












Tiny spaces, secrets and mysterious, where they are? Options are abounded places, botanic garden and fairness. We suppose keep a secret and we won't tell anyone about that. But what if it is more difficult and complicated and we are not strong enough. Stories behind us are floating. Old buildings around us give us unique opportunity to think about the story behind us, past, present and future. Ghost around us... 

7 deadly sins - gambling, drunkenness, envy. Love, cheating. Our little secrets in our life’s and our life are in our mind. Short/Fast/Again. Process of finding solutions for the ideas. 

IDEAS

CONCEPT - nooks and crannies as a metaphorical synonym for SECRETs in our mind combine with HIDDEN PLACES, abounded places across with "new, future and very useful" buildings, secrets behind the walls, sexual deviation, etc., Repetitive annoying music, around, circles.


Timetable, storyboard, sound, storytelling, poems.



















POEMS 

 HAIKU

BASO MATSUO

An old silent pond
a frog jumps into thepond
splash! silence again

autumn moonlight
a warm digs silently
into the chestnut

lighting flash 
what I was though were faces
are plumes of pampas grass

KOBAYASKI ISSA

everything I touch
with tenderness, alas,
pricks like a bramble

GLASGOW STREET
Out of this ugliness may come
some day, so beautiful a flower
that men will wonder at that hour,
remembering smoke and flowerless slum and ask,
glimpsing the agony
of the slaves who wreste to be free
'but why were all the poets dumb?'

William Montgomerie

Looking over my shoulder
my behind was covered
with cherry blossoms

Allan Ginsberg

These Two

That tree said
I dont like that white car under me,
it smells gasoline
That other tree next to it said
O you're always complaining
you're neurotic 
you can see by the way you're bent over

Allan Ginsberg

Transcription of Organ Music

...
I began to feel my misery in pallet on floor, listening
to music, my misery, that's why I wanted to sing.
The room closed down on me, I expected the presence
of the Creator, I saw my gray painted walls and
ceiling, they contained my room, they contained my room, they contained
me as the sky contained my garden

.......

Allan Gindberg


Susan Philipsz






Movie made by Mike Cathill with amazing shots and angles. 


Places which I consider as possible spots for shooting.

ACRE HOUSE
Sited to the north of the city at the edge of Maryhill, Acre House is a circa 1880 house which was most recently used by Glasgow University as student accomodation. Having lain empty since 2004 the building has suffered numerous break-ins and vandalism culminating in a recent major fire which destroyed the roof, interior and left the building in an utterly derelict burnt out and somewhat perilous state.
The building is constructed of blond sandstone ashlar with Italian renaissance influenced stylings, with a three storey tower at the north-east corner.
street address: 100 Acre Road, Glasgow, G20 0TL











Abandoned Gartloch Insane Asylum, Glasgow

Victorian-era lunatic asylums were typically foreboding structures. But Gartloch Hospital in Glasgow took this to the extreme and looks like the setting of a Gothic horror movie. While some wings of the abandoned hospital have been converted into luxury apartments, the main administration building, complete with twin towers that bear an uncanny resemblance to Sauron’s helmet, remains derelict. In this article, we take a look within the crumbling walls of the former Glasgow asylum.

After this document I decided I wont be able go there alone even if the building are wonderful!!!













The Old Hillhead Primary School











Tunnels under the botanic garden and around Glasgow

Grahamston is a forgotten piece of Glasgow history. It vanished beneath the foundations of Glasgow Central Station more than 100 years ago, but its memory lives on in buildings, in street patterns and not least in the urban legend of an abandoned village beneath the platforms of Scotland’s busiest railway station.
In his fascinating book, local historian Norrie Gilliland brings Grahamston back to life and shows the important role it played in the growth of Glasgow. This book is required reading for everyone who thinks they know Glasgow and its history, for those who use Central Station and for everyone who likes a good detective story.
Norrie Gilliland has unearthed Glasgow’s buried treasure … the forgotten story of Grahamston and its vital role in Glasgow history.
“Thanks to Norrie Gilliland, the village of Grahamston, now partially buried beneath the pile of Central Station, is not so much forgotten as hidden. In his capable hands the community is brought back to life.” – Edward J. Cowan, Professor of Scottish History, University of Glasgow



Unfortunatelly, all the ways to the old railway station are fill because of people as me.. Although, I was very scared more than frightness I felt excitment, probably I would like go more around glasgow and find more places and through the old places discover more about glasgow history and mentality there... 



WHAT I LEARNT ON WEEKEND?

25-26/10
I shouldnt go anywhere I suppose not to go otherwise I can myself into a trouble.

If I am in any kind of problem I just can said that I am from GSA and all the problems are solve.





















BOTANIC GARDEN











PROCESS


I choose premiere pro for my project because I already knew how to edit videos and kind of familiar with the software more than aftereffects and I dont like imovie. For my 











Reaper

I wanted use Ableton for music editing but finally I had problem with my cracked software so I used reaper instead of stolen Ableton, it is working as well as the other software. 



Ableton


Finally, I found a way how to use Ableton and export all of my sounds from it - so I used the sound from ableton for my second video.







Sound 1


Sound2 



Sound3








Shot Types

There is a convention in the video, film and television industries which assigns names and guidelines to common types of shots, framing and picture composition. The list below briefly describes the most common shot types (click the images for more details).
Notes:
  • The exact terminology varies between production environments but the basic principles are the same.
  • Shots are usually described in relation to a particular subject. In most of the examples below, the subject is the boy.
  • See below for more information and related tutorials.
Extreme Wide Shot
EWS (Extreme Wide Shot)

The view is so far from the subject that he isn't even visible. Often used as an establishing shot.
Very Wide Shot
VWS (Very Wide Shot)

The subject is visible (barely), but the emphasis is still on placing him in his environment.
Wide Shot
WS (Wide Shot)

The subject takes up the full frame, or at least as much as comfortably possible.
AKA: long shotfull shot.
Mid Shot
MS (Mid Shot)

Shows some part of the subject in more detail while still giving an impression of the whole subject.
Medium Close Up
MCU (Medium Close Up)

Half way between a MS and a CU.
Close Up
CU (Close Up)

A certain feature or part of the subject takes up the whole frame.
Extreme Close Up
ECU (Extreme Close Up)

The ECU gets right in and shows extreme detail.
Variation: Choker
cut-in
Cut-In

Shows some (other) part of the subject in detail.
Cutaway
CA (Cutaway)

A shot of something other than the subject.
two-shot
Two-Shot

A shot of two people, framed similarly to a mid shot.
over-the-shoulder shot
(OSS) Over-the-Shoulder Shot

Looking from behind a person at the subject.
noddy
Noddy Shot

Usually refers to a shot of the interviewer listening and reacting to the subject.
point of view (POV)
Point-of-View Shot (POV)

Shows a view from the subject's perspective.
weather shot
Weather Shot

The subject is the weather. Can be used for other purposes, e.g. background for graphics.

FINAL VIDEOS



Transcription of Organ Music

...
I began to feel my misery in pallet on floor, listening
to music, my misery, that's why I wanted to sing.
The room closed down on me, I expected the presence
of the Creator, I saw my gray painted walls and
ceiling, they contained my room, they contained my room, they contained
me as the sky contained my garden

.......

Allan Gindberg




GLASGOW STREET
Out of this ugliness may come
some day, so beautiful a flower
that men will wonder at that hour,
remembering smoke and flowerless slum and ask,
glimpsing the agony
of the slaves who wreste to be free
'but why were all the poets dumb?'

William Montgomerie

About the project and process

Second project this year is about nooks and crannies which I quite difficult to understand and this was why I was worried so much because the topic is not the easiest and also because it is challenging to explain an idea in just 60 seconds. 

After a day of brainstorming I was getting be closer to an idea, also I was able to touch what I would like to say – ugliness, secrets and sins. I started looking around and think about Glasgow as a secret – factories, abounded place and painful history. Is really Glasgow wonderful city? We all have some undercover thoughts about something. So my starting point was little research about short conceptual film, shorter film was better for me purposes, however; I found some provocative, interesting and, awkward videos – FLUXUS films are very interesting for me as well as avant-garde movement.

During the videos we had to think about the thoughts and concept, which is sometimes difficult to catch. I am glad I had opportunity to think about secrets, and editing videos. Although, I already made some videos before and I knew how to use some shots and movement I like to work with music, so I decided to make two videos because most of the videos what I made before, people had problems to understand, so this is reason why I made one more proper (better understanding) video which has wonderful shots, proper sound and one with creepy sound.

I suppose, this project gave me opportunity to discover new movies and poems that I am satisfied with also, I manage everything on time and I wasn’t in in rush. In the next project, I would like to make deeper research and go more deeper just because we do not have any lectures which are introduce us history and workshop etc., dolly rail, sound and angles of shots or software for editing. I just used software’s that I already knew before so I would like to improve my skills in after effects. I assume, in next project I started same as I did it now but instead of starting immediately with project I spent some time at library find more information.


0 comments:

Post a Comment